history related to the people, the
buildings and the rural landscape.
Some local families
have lived and farmed in the area for many
generations. The historic economy of
Goldshaw Booth is
linked to sheep farming, wool and cloth
British History Online has an entry for Goldshaw
written in 1911 which gives an
account of much earlier times.
A guide to the Industrial
Padiham and District by
Mike Rothwell (ISBN 1 897605 02 1)
Bridgestone Press 2004 has a section
on Goldshaw Booth relating to the weaver's
cottages in Newchurch and a
brief history of Spenbrook Mill.
There was a Chapel-of-ease on the site of
later chapel was
dedicated by John Bird, Bishop of Chester,
in 1544. Newchurch was then
in the Diocese of Chester. The tower is
the earliest part of the
present church which was restored in 1653.
The rest of the present
building was constructed in about 1740.
The school was opened in 1876 and
some interesting facts
can be found on the school
Many interesting old houses and farms are
to be found in Goldshaw Booth
such as Sabden
in Sabden Fold. The Parish Council hold an
illustrated survey of the properties in
Forest History Group
evidence of the prehistoric occupation of